The SWK Chronicle
The history of the Stadtwerke Kaiserslautern dates back to the year 1858: that year, the Gasanstalt Kaiserslautern AG was established by the inhabitants of the city.
In 1888, the city of Kaiserslautern acquired the rights to the spring “Lauterspring”.
The systematic development of the water supply began in 1889.
A hygienically safe spring tapping was built at the existing seepage gallery.
Construction of the city’s electricity plant in Karcherstrasse started in April of 1894.
Electricity was first supplied on 03 September 1894 to light the square in front of the train station.
Electricity supply to private customers started on 16 December 1894.
In 1905, Christian Fuchs started the local transport in Kaiserslautern with his coach driving service on the occasion of the "4th Kaiserslauterer Gewerbe- und Industrieausstellung“ [Trade and Industry Fair].
In 1952, the Federal Railway was supplied with steam generated by the heating and power station for the first time.
On July 1, 2011 the Gasanstalt Kaiserslautern AG merged with the TWK, Technische Werke Kaiserslautern Versorgungs-AG. Since then, the companies formed the SWK Stadtwerke Kaiserslautern Versorgung-AG. 74.9 percent of the SWK Versorgungs-AG is owned by SWK GmbH, and 25.1 percent by Thüga AG.
In 2011, the SWK Stadtwerke Kaiserslautern GmbH emerged from the TWK, Technische Werke Kaiserslautern GmbH and is 100 percent owned by the city of Kaiserslautern.
In September 2011, the TWK, Technische Werke Kaiserslautern Verkehrs-AG changed its name to SWK Stadtwerke Kaiserslautern Verkehrs-AG.