The history of Stadtwerke Kaiserslautern dates back to 1858: That was the year the Gasanstalt Kaiserslautern AG gasworks were founded by the city’s residents.
- In 1888, the city of Kaiserslautern acquired the rights to Lauter Spring. The systematic process of building the city’s water system began just a year later. A hygienic spring intake was built on the existing seepage gallery.
- The construction of the city’s power plant began on Karcherstrasse in April 1894. Electricity was first supplied to illuminate the square in front of the train station on September, 3 1894.
- Electricity supply to private customers began shortly before Christmas 1894 – on December, 16.
- In 1905, Christian Fuchs started local transport in Kaiserslautern with his coach service on the occasion of Kaiserslautern’s fourth Trade and Industry Fair.
- The Federal Railway was supplied with steam generated by the city’s heating and power plant for the first time in 1952.
- On July, 1 2011, Gasanstalt Kaiserslautern AG (gasworks) merged with Technische Werke Kaiserslautern Versorgungs-AG (technical plants). Since then, the companies have formed SWK Stadtwerke Kaiserslautern Versorgung-AG. SWK GmbH owns a 74.9 percent share in SWK Versorgungs-AG, and Thüga AG holds a 25.1 percent share.
- In 2011, the Technische Werke Kaiserslautern GmbH became SWK Stadtwerke Kaiserslautern GmbH, which is wholly owned by the city of Kaiserslautern.